392 – Moroccan Shrimp M’hencha and Fresh Spring Rolls / لفات المحنشة المغربية بالجمبري
SHRIMP FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 250 grams large shrimp (peeled)
- 1 medium sized onion (grated)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- A small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon of tomato concentrate
- 1 teaspoon of Harissa (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- A small bouquet of fresh cilantro and parsley (finely chopped)
- 250 grams Chinese vermicelli (rice noodles)
- For rolls: rice papers
- For mhencha: Warka or phyllo dough + melted butter + egg yolk
Step 1 – Making the Shrimp Stuffing:
1- Prepare the vermicelli. Place the noodles in a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let them sit in the water for 10 minutes. Drain and cut with scissors.
2- On medium, drizzle olive oil in a pan. Add the grated onion, crushed garlic, and a pinch of salt. Mix and cook for a couple of minutes.
3- Peel and grate a small piece of fresh ginger.
4- Add the tomato concentrate, and harissa to the onions. Mix and cook for a couple of minutes. 5- Add cumin, paprika, turmeric, pepper, salt, fresh ginger, lemon juice, chopped cilantro and parley, to the onion tomato mixture. Mix. You get a concentrated tomato paste. Add 2 tablespoons of water, mix and cook for a few minutes.
6- Add the shrimp to the tomato sauce. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the shrimp until they change color and become pink. It will take 3-4 minutes. Note: keep 10 shrimp that you will boil in water separately to use for decoration.
7- Add the cooked vermicelli to the shrimp and tomato sauce. Mix well. Cook for another minute and that’s it! 8- Place the stuffing in a bowl, cover, and let it cool down completely before using it.
Step 2: Shaping
1- Watch the video for how to shape the spring rolls and mhencha