924- Chekhchoukha / شخشوخة
For the pastilla sheets
250g (8 ounces) pastilla sheets
300ml (1 1/4 cups) vegetable oil
For the Mahlabia
250ml (1 cup) milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 tsp Arabic gum
Pinch of saffron threads
50g (1/3 cup) fried almonds, finely chopped
Step 1: Preparing the pastilla sheet
1. Using a cookie cutter, cut the pastilla sheets into 10cm circles.
2. Heat up the vegetable oil in a large pot, add the pastilla sheets one at a time and fry them for 3 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to to cool on a plate lined with paper towels.
Step 2: Making the mahlabia
3. In a saucepan, combine the milk and cornstarch, whisk well to dissolve the cornstarch then place the saucepan over medium heat.
4. Add the sugar, Arabic gum and saffron. Cook for 5 minutes while whisking until the mixture starts to thicken. Set aside to cool.
Step 3: Layering the chekhchoukha
5. Crumble the fried pastilla sheets into bite sized pieces, then place a layer of the pastilla in your serving cups.
6. Add a dollop of the mahlabia and fried almonds. Place a second layer of pastilla, add more mahlabia and almonds. Decorate with mint then serve.