Kabab Maghdour - Tagine of Meat and Onions
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hour
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: easy
- 3 large onions, grated
- 2 pounds of veal meat, preferably a shoulder cut, and dice it into medium sized cubes
- ⅓ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- large pinch of saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a cooking pan, mix the vegetable oil and butter, and let them heat up on medium heat.Until the butter melts completely.
Add the onions to the pan as well as the salt, pepper, turmeric powder, and saffron threads. Mix well. Cover the pan and cook on the onions on medium heat for 10 minutes. You will notice that the onions will start softening and melting.
- Add the meat to the onions. Mix well.
Pour water into the pan until the meat and onions are completely covered.
Cover you pan and let the meat cook on medium heat for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, add the paprika and cinnamon to the meat. Mix well.
Uncover your pan, and continue cooking the meat on medium heat for about 30 minutes, until the water evaporates and the sauce thickens.
- Serve the Kabab Maghdour hot with Moroccan or French bread.
note: if you cover this dish and let it rest in the fridge overnight, it will taste amazing the next day (after heating it up) !!!