Chocolate Cream "Danette" Style
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Cool Time: 1 hour
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: easy
- 1 cup (100 grams) powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup (50 grams) unsweetened high quality cocoa powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- A bit more than 2 cups (1/2 liter) cold milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + milk to dilute it
- In a large bowl, mix the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and sea salt together using a whisk. Break all the lumps.
- In a saucepan, add the milk and the heavy cream. Then add the chocolate mixture. Cook on medium-low heat for 3 minutes, until all the dry mixture is dissolved. Whisk continously.
In a separate small bowl, dilute the corn starch with some cold milk. Mix until very smooth.
- After 3 minutes of cooking the chocolate milk, add the vanilla extract and continue cooking on medium-low heat until you see steam coming out from the milk and the surface of the milks satrting to shiver. It's going to be right under the boiling point.
Now, add the diluted corn starch while whisking the chocolate milk continously. You have only a few seconds before the cream starts thickening. Keep stirring and the moment the cream thickens remove from the heat.
Pour the chocolate cream in small cups and let it sit on your kitchen counter for 15 minutes to cool down a bit. Then place in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.
Serve cold with cookies - it's delicious when you dip cookies in it!