Step 1: Preparing the Onion
* First we are going to cook the onion. Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet, add a grated onion, 4 garlic cloves crushed, and 1 teaspoon of ginger paste (basically take fresh ginger, peel it, then grate it). Mix well. Add a pinch of salt - we are not going to add too much salt because smoked salmon is already salty.
* Cook the onion on medium low heat until all the liquid is evaporated and the onion become dry. It will take around 15 minutes.
* Place the onion mixture in a bowl and let it cool down before using it.
Step 2: Wrapping the Egg Rolls
* I am using Egg Roll Wraps but feel free to replace them with Warka, which is the famous Moroccan pastry that has an amazing crunchy result (check out my video with Paula Wolfert on how to make home made Warka) or you can use phyllo dough. If you use phyllo dough remember to brush each sheet with melted butter before rolling it.
* Place the wrap down so that it looks like a diamond and place the filling diagonally on the wrap. First, layer the slices of smoked salmon, then add avocado slices, and a bit of the onion mixture. Fold the bottom corner over the filling half way, then fold the sides towards the center to cover the filling. Roll the wrap from the bottom as if you were rolling a carpet, then brush the edge with a bit of water and seal. If you are using warka or phyllo dough use egg wash to seal the roll.
Step 3: Cooking the Egg Rolls
* There are 2 ways for cooking the egg rolls you can either bake them or fry them. To bake them, preheat your oven to 400 F degrees (200 C), place the egg rolls in a baking pan covered with parchment paper, and brush them with olive oil. Bake until the egg rolls become golden brown.
*To fry them, heat some vegetable oil in a deep skillet. When the oil is hot, place the egg rolls in the skillet and fry them in all sides until they become deep golden brown. Once done, place the egg rolls in a paper towel and pad to absorb all excess oil.
Serve the egg rolls immediately over a lettuce bed. You can serve them as is or with a sweet or spicy sauce!