Chicken Tajine with Carrots and Preserved Lemons
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: medium
- 1 whole chicken - cut into large pieces (1.5 pounds)
- 1 large onion - peeled and diced
- 6 carrots - peeled, cut into halves, and cored
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped parsley
- Preserved lemons (substitute with olives or 1 tablespoon of lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
On medium heat, drizzle the olive oil in your pan, add the onions, all the spices, and the chicken. Cover your pan and let them cook for 5 minutes.
Add the parsley and cilantro to the chicken.
Cover the chicken with water, close the pan with the lid, and let the chicken cook for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, add the carrots to the chicken and let them cook with the chicken for 30 minutes. We do not add the carrots to cook from the beginning because we do not want them to be overcooked.
During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the preserved lemons (olives or the 1 tablespoon of lemon juice) and let the tajine cook for another 5 minutes without the lid.
Note: if you are using preserved lemons, make sure to wash them with water before using them as they are salty and might make your tajine too salty.
Serving: Serve this tajine with bread. Enjoy!