301 – Pumpkin Coconut Custard Laos Style / القرع بكاسترد جوز الهند
Prep time :
Cook time :
- 1 medium Kabocha or Sugar pumpkin
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) white granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt
Step 1 – Preparing the Pumpkin:
- With a sharp knife, cut a geometric figure at the center-top of the pumpkin. Imagine it’s like a hat or cover the pumpkin.
- Carefully remove the pumpkin ‘top’ and keep.
- Using a spoon, empty the inside of the pumpkin until clean (remove the seeds and fibers). Disgard the seeds or keep for other recipes.
- Lightly wash the inside of the pumpkin with some cold water. Drain.
Step 2 – Making the Coconut Milk Custard:
Note: Use coconut MILK not cream or any other type of product
- Place the coconut milk in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to make it more liquid (coconut milk in a can tend to become solid)
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, sugar, and pinch of salt. Lightly beat using a whisk.
- Add the coconut milk and continue mixing until all the ingredients are well integrated.
- in a large pot, place a ‘stand’ inside, where we can place a pumpkin and steam it. You can also use a double-boiler or steamer.
- Place a bowl on top of the ‘stand’ (in the pot). Place the pumpkin in the bowl.
- Pour the custard inside the pumpkin. Place the pumpkin ‘hat’ next to it in the bol (do not cover the pumpkin with its ‘hat’).
- pour water in the pot, around 1/3 the height of the pot. The water should not reach more than 1/3 the heigh of the bowl.
- Cover the entire pot and place on the stove. Cook on medium-high heat. We are basically steaming the pumpkin.
- After 45-50 minutes, check that the custart is ready by inserting a knife in the middle of the custard – the knife should come out clean.
- Remove the pumpkin from the bowl. Place on a place and let cool down at room temperature.
- Serve at room temperature. Cut slices around the pumpkin to get a slice of pumpkin with some coconut custard!
Tip: you can steam left over custard in bowl for extra custard!