Version 1- Zaalouk – Moroccan Eggplant Salad
- 1 large eggplant (1 pound)
- 3 tomatoes peeled and diced (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
Steps to prepare the eggplant:
1. Peel and dice the eggplant. You can either peel all the eggplant skin of leave half of it, depending on your taste.
2. Boil the eggplant cubes in salted water for 20 – 30 minutes.
3. Drain the eggplant cubes from the water and press them with a spoon until all excess water is released.
Steps to prepare the Zaalouk:
1. On medium heat, add the tomatoes, eggplant, olive oil, garlic and spices to your pan and cook them for 30 minutes.
2. Crush the eggplant and tomatoes with a wooden spoon while they are cooking until you end up with a puree.
3. In the last 5 minutes, add the vinegar to the eggplant and tomatoes puree.
- Zaalouk is served either hot or cold, with bread. Enjoy!