047 – Zaalouk – Moroccan Eggplant Salad
Prep time :
Cook time :
- 1 large eggplant (1 pound)
- 3 tomatoes peeled and diced (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
- Steps to prepare the eggplant:
1- Peel and dice the eggplant. You can either peel all the eggplant skin of leave half of it, depending on your taste.
2- Boil the eggplant cubes in salted water for 20 – 30 minutes.
3- Drain the eggplant cubes from the water and press them with a spoon until all excess water is released.
- Steps to prepare the Zaalouk:
1- On medium heat, add the tomatoes, eggplant, olive oil, garlic and spices to your pan and cook them for 30 minutes.
2- Crush the eggplant and tomatoes with a wooden spoon while they are cooking until you end up with a puree.
3- In the last 5 minutes, add the vinegar to the eggplant and tomatoes puree.
Zaalouk is served either hot or cold, with bread. Enjoy!