237 – Chettinad Chicken – Indian Recipe / تشتيناد الدجاج
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, and 3 cardamom pods
- 2 medium sized onions (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 pound (450 grams) of chicken breast (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (unpeeled and chopped)
- 1 green chile (sliced)
- Spices: 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- A squeeze of fresh lime
- Cooked basmati rice for serving
Step 1: Marinating the Chicken
1- The first step is to marinate the chicken with plain yogurt. Mix both in a large bowl and let it sit for aroud 30 minutes.
Step 2: Cooking the Chicken
1- The next step is to cook the onions.
2- On medium heat, add the vegetable oil, cinnamon stick, whole cloves, and cardamom pods in your pot. Let the oil infuse the spices for about 30 seconds until you start smelling the aromas.
3- Add the chopped onions to the oil. Cook the onions, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes while stirring occasionally, until they turn into a nice golden brown. If the onions start sticking to your pot, you can a little bit of water and mix well.
4- When the onions’ color turns into a beautiful golden brown, add freshly grated ginger and crushed garlic. Mix all the ingredients and cook for 5 minutes.
5- Add the chopped tomatoes and fresh chile.
6- Add the spices: salt, turmeric powder, red chile powder, and green coriander powder. Cook the mixture uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
7- Add the marinated chicken with the yogurt. Mix well. Continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is done.
8- You know the chicken is done when the oil splits from the sauce and the chicken is soft.
9- Add the curry leaves (optional), freshly ground black pepper, chopped cilantro, and squeeze of fresh lime juice. Mix well.
Step 3: Serving the Chicken
Serve the chicken along with cooked basmati rice.