296 – Grilled Fish Hanoi Style – Vietnamese Recipe / سمك مشوي بطريقة هانوي
- 1.5 pounds (700 grams) of hemibagrus ( a type of catfish), snake-head fish, monk fish
Fish Marinade Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons grinded fresh galangal or ginger root, grated or 2 teaspoon dried galangal powder
- 2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh lemon grass
- 2 teaspoons finely copped shallots
- A few pieces of finely chopped red chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons Vietnamese shrimp paste, or 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons of Vietnamese sour rice paste (or 3 tsp of plain yogurt)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- spices: 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying the fish
- Fresh greens (dill, cilantro, scallions) to fry with the fish
Ingredients for serving:
- cooked rice, cooked rice noodles, roasted peanuts, shrimp sauce or fish sauce for dipping, fresh greens.
- Vietnamese Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 3-4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3-4 teaspoons white granulated sugar
- 3-4 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- A few pieces of chopped red chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh dill
Step 1: Marinating the Fish
1- Get rid of fish skin and bones, cut the fish into medium-sized pieces (one bite size)
2- Place the fish pieces in a large bowl and combine with all of the marinade ingredients. Toss gently, cover, and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour
Step 2: Grilling the Fish
1- Grill the fish with charcoal (or put it in a hot oven at 400 F / 200 C for 15 minutes)
Step 3: Frying the Fish
1- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet or wok, add the fish pieces and some green (scallions, dills, cilantro, etc.). Sauté until fragrant.
Step 4: Serve the Fish
1- Preapre the Vietnamese Dipping Sauce by combining all the ingredients together in a bowl.
2- Serve the fish and greens hot right after frying them.
3- The fish is eaten with rice noodles or rice, peanuts, fresh greens, fish sauce or shrimp sauce (as a dip), and the Vietnamese Dipping Sauce.