448 – Fish Tagine with Onions and Raisins / طاجين سمك بالبصل والزبيب
- 1 kilo white fish chunks (for example, Conger)
- 3 large onions
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smen (or butter)
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 2 cinnamon stick
- Small fresh cilantro bunch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
1- Peel the onions. Cut in half and slice thinly.
2- Let the saffron threads soak in a bit of warm water.
Step 2: Mixing and Cooking
1- In a large bowl, place the white fish. Add the saffron water and saffron threads soaking in it, ground turmeric, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, salt, smen (or butter), cinnamon sticks, vegetable oil, olive oil, the sliced onions, and raisins. Mix all the ingredients together.
2- In a deep saucepan, place the onions first then place the fish slices on top of the onion bed. Add the cilantro bunch.
3- Cover and cook on medium heat for 40 minutes or until the onions are soft and the fish is done.
4- Serve hot with crusty bread.