130 – Basbousa – Egyptian Semolina Cake Recipe
- 1-¼ cups of semolina
- ½ cup of flour
- 1-½ cups of natural unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup of milk
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 8 tablespoons of butter (4oz)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of rose water
Step 1: Preparing the Cake
1. Mix together the semolina, flour, coconut, sugar & baking powder.
2. Melt the butter
3. Beat the egg
4. Add the milk, egg, melted butter and almond extract to the dry mixture and mix until combined and smooth.
5. Prepare an 8×11 pan. Generously butter the pan.
6. Transfer the mixture into the baking pan.
7. Using a sharp knife, cut the Basbousa into diamond shapes.
8. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
9. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Retrace the cuts made prior to baking with a knife.
Step 2: Making the Syrup
1. Bring to boiling point the water, sugar & lemon juice.
2. Once the syrup reaches boiling point, reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
3. After thickening the syrup a little bit by simmering it, add the rose water and let the syrup simmer again for another 1-2 minutes.
4. Transfer the syrup into a measuring jug and let it cool down.
Step 3: Soaking the Cake with Syrup
1. Pour the syrup on the Basbousa and decorate with shredded coconut.