111 – Chicken Chorba Recipe – Ramadan Specials
- 1 pound of chicken pieces
- 2 medium onions – grated
- 1/3 cup of vermicelli
- 1/3 cup of canned chickpeas (if using dried chickpeas they have to be soaked in water overnight)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of smen (ghee) – or substitute with butter
- 1 large pinch of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped parseley
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1.5 liters of water (6 cups)
1- In you cooking pot, add the oil, smen, chicken, onions, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cover your pan and cook on the chicken on medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
2- After 5-10 minutes, add 1 liter (4 cups) of water to the chicken. Cover you pan and let the chicken cook on high heat until done – which will take around 30 minutes.
3- Once the chicken is cooked, add 1/2 liter (2 cups) of water, the vermicelli, and the canned chickpeas to the chicken. Cover your pan and let all the ingredients cook for another 5 minutes.
Note: if using dried chickpeas (soaked in water overnight) you have to add them in step 2 with the chicken.
4- Add 1/3 cup of the soup to the egg yolks and beat the mixture with the parseley and the lemon juice.
5- Slowly add the egg yolks mixture to the soup while stirring. Taste your soup and adjust the salt and pepper accordingly. Cover your pan and let the soup cook for another 5-10 minutes.