018 – Chicken with Olives Tajine
I LOVE THIS RECIPE 11
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
- A pinch of orange food colorant (powder)
- A pinch of saffron (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin (optional)
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 cup of green or red olives
1- Skin the chicken.
2- Peel the onions and grate them.
3- To make the marinating sauce, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, spices and cilantro all together. Add 1 tablespoon of water.
4- Coat the chicken with the sauce. Cover the chicken and let it marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
5- Drizzle some oil in the cooking pan and saute the onions of few minutes.
6- Add the chicken and rotate it couple of times in the onions.
7- Add water until it covers half of the chicken. Cover the pan and the let the chicken cook for 20 minutes.
8- Turn the chicken and let the other side cook for another 20 minutes.
9- Bake the chicken at 400 F degrees for 45 minutes. Turn it once half way through so both sides of the chicken are roasted.
10- Add the olives to the sauce. Do not cover the pan and let the sauce cook on low heat until it thickens.
Serve the chicken with the sauce and olives.
1- To save time you can broil the chicken for 15 minutes instead of baking it for 45 minutes (Turn it once half way through so both sides of the chicken are roasted).
2- This dish is served with bread or rice.