216 – “Merguez” Style Ground Meat Recipe
- 1 pound (500 grams) of ground meet (beef or lamb)
- Ground Spices: 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon Ras-Al-Hanout (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon Harissa sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Step 1: Making the Spice Mixture
1. Using a mortar and a pistol, mix the ground spices, the fennel seeds, and coriander seeds together until they are completely crushed.
2. Add the Harissa to the mortar and continue mixing.
3. Add the sliced garlic cloves to the mixture, and grind them with the spices until you get a smooth texture.
Step 2: Preparing the Meat
1. Add the olive oil and spice mixture to the ground meat. Mix well using a fork.
2. Place the meat mixture in a bowl, cover, and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight) so that the meat soaks up all the flavors.
Step 3: Cooking the Meat
1. After marinating the meat, you can shape it any way you want: into skewers, hamburgers, etc.
2. You can grill the meat in your barbecue grill or a grilling plate that you place on top of a stove. Note: If you are using a grill plate, cover it with a little bit of olive oil.
3. Grill the meat on both sides for a few minutes each side. Note: grill the meat for a shorter time if you like meat rare or medium-rare, and longer for well done. But be careful not to overcook or the meat will be too dry.
4- Serve with rice and vegetables. Bon Appetit!