149 – Moroccan Fava Beans with Charmoula Recipe
- 1 pound fresh fava beans (weighed with the skin)
- 1 tomato (grated)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
1. Peel all the fava beans and discard the skins. If you find large fava beans, slice the head with a pairing knife so that it can absorb the spices when cooked.
2. In a saucepan, mix the 1/3 cup olive oil with 1/4 cup water. Mix well and let the oil and water cook on medium heat until they start bubbling.
3. Add the fava beans to the oil / water mixture. Also, add the rest of the ingredients (garlic, cilantro, and spices). Mix well.
4. Add water to the saucepan until all the fava beans are covered with water. Cover the pan and let the fava beans cook for 50 minutes on medium heat. Stir the fava beans from time to time.
5. Cut the tomtato in half and grate it. Discard the skin.
6. Once the fava beans are cooked, add the grated tomato to the saucepan with the fava beans. Then let the fava beans and tomato cook for 3-4 minutes uncovered.
7. Serve the fava beans hot with Moroccan or French bread.