069 – Harira – Traditional Moroccan Soup
I LOVE THIS RECIPE 14
- 2 large tomatoes – peeled and pureed
- 1 onion – chopped
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped parsley
- 1 celery stick – chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1 can of chickpeas (or 1 cup of dry chickpeas soaked in water over night)
- 1/2 cup of lentils (soaked in water for 1 hour)
- 1/3 cup of vermicelli
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 2 liters of water
- Add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, parsley, celery, butter, salt, pepper, ginger powder, lentils, and water in your cooking pan. Cover the cooking pan and let all the ingredients cook for 45 minutes on medium heat. Stir from time to time. Note: If you are using dry chickpeas, add them to the other ingredients in step 1. Otherwise, if you are using canned chickpeas, add them towards the end. Also, if you would like to add meat to the harira, add 1 cup of meat cubes to the other ingredients in step 1.
- After 45 minutes, add the canned chickpeas and the tomato paste.
- Dilute the flour with some water. Slowly pour the flour mixture to the harira while stirring.
- Add the vermicelli. Cover and let the harira cook for another 10 minutes.
Serving: You can serve the harira with dates. Enjoy!