133 – M’Batten Recipe – Fried Potato Pockets with Meat (Recipe from Libya)
- 1 pound of ground lamb (or beef)
- 1 onion, grated
- ¼ cup of finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup of finely chopped parsley
- 6 scallions, chopped, only the white part
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 teaspoon of red chile pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Large white potatoes
- Flour egg and vegetable oil for frying
Step 1: Preparing the Meat
1. Mix the egg, spices, garlic and tomato paste with ground meat.
2. Over medium heat, drizzle the olive oil in your pan.
3. Add the grated onion and cook for a few minutes.
4. After a few minute of cooking the inions, add the meat.
5. Cook the meat until done.
6. Once the meat is cooked, about 10 minutes, taste the meat and cook the spices accordingly.
7. Place the meat in a large bowl.
8. Add the cilantro, parsley and scallions to the cooked meat.
9. Let the mixture cool down.
Step 2: Preparing the Potatoes
1. Peel the potatoes
2. Slice the potatoes – the goal is to get pieces that look like a potato sandwich to fill with the meat.
3. Slice about ¾ of the way through the potato then make the next slice all the way down the potato.
Step 3: Assembling and Frying the M’Batten
1. Take a potato sandwich and fill it with the meat then dip it in the egg and the flour.
2. The last step is to fry the M’Batten.
3. Heat the oil until it becomes very hot, then fry the M’Batten until they become golden brown.
4. Lace the fried M’Batten on paper towels to drain excess oil then sprinkle salt on top.
5. Serve immediately.