142 – Raib – Moroccan Homemade Yogurt Recipe. Ramadan Special!
Raib is a Moroccan homemade yogurt flavored with orange blossom water. It’s so smooth and creamy… absolutely devine – you will never find anything like it in a supermarket. It is actually very easy to make Raib if you remember the following tricks:
1- Choose a good yogurt starter
2- When heating the milk do NOT boil, but just bring it to a boiling point then remove it from the heat
3- Yogurt needs to rest in a warm place for 8-15 hours. If you want a smooth and soft yogurt then 8-9 hours of resting time, and you want a denser yogurt then 15 hours.
and that’s it! Enjoy making your own Raib!
- 500 ml of low fat or whole milk (that we are going to heat)
- 250 ml of low fat or whole milk (that we are going to keep cool)
- 6 oz of yogurt (either plain, vanilla, or flavored) – make sure it has ‘live and active’ culture in its ingredients list
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons of orange blossom water
1. Pour the milk in a saucepan and mix it with sugar. Slowly bring the 500 ml of milk to a boiling point. As soon the milk starts boiling remove it from the heat.
2.Place the milk in a bowl and let it cool down until it becomes lukewarm. Once the milk becomes warm, add the orange blossom water to it.
3. Mix the 250 ml of cold milk with the yogurt.
4. Add the yogurt mixture to the warm milk and mix well.
5. Heat your oven at 200F for 5-10 minutes then turn it off.
Place cups in a shallow baking pan, and pour the milk mixture into the cups. Cover the cups / baking pan with foil paper. Place the baking pan with the cups in the oven and let the milk mixture rest for 8-15 hours. 8-9 hours for a soft and smooth yogurt and 15 hours for a denser yogurt. If you check on the milk mixture and it’s not dense yet, just let it rest more. Do not disturb the cups for the first 8 hours.
6. After the resting time, cover each cup with a plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 2-4 hours to let the yogurt set.
7. Serve cold plain or with fruits!