443 – Moroccan Coconut Ghriba / غريبة جوز الهند
- 150 grams (5.3 oz.) dried unsweetened coconut, finely shredded
- 50 grams (1/3 cup) semolina (you can replace with almond meal for a gluten-free version)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- Extra orange blossom water for rolling the cookies
- Powdered sugar for dusting
1- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, orange blossom water, powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, and pinch of salt. Mix well.
2- Add the apricot jam and continue mixing.
3- Add the dry ingredients: dried coconut, semolina, and baking powder. Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated into a smooth moist dough.
4- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
6- Preheat your oven to 180 C / 350 F.
7- To shape the cookies, wet your hands with a little bit of orange blossom water (or just water), take some of the coconut dough, and make balls the size of a walnut. Flatten each ball slightly, dip one side into the powdered sugar, then place on a baking pan covered with parchment paper. Make sure to leave space between the cookies as they expand when baking.
8- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes.
9- Once the cookies are done, remove from the oven, and let cool completely before storing